Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What are your favorite websites?

I was recently asked to list my ten most favorite websites. Narrowing the list to 10 is no easy task, since I am always on the lookout for new sites, especially those that may be helpful for educators.

Some of my favorites have been listed in this blog, and a majority are "Web 2.0-based" -- social sites used for collaborating, such as Bloglines, del.icio.us, Furl, Flickr, pbwiki, Wikispaces, and Writeboard.

A great site for educators is USA Today Education Online
which advertises across the banner head, "Improving student performance through relevant, timely, real-world resources." The "Daily Lesson Plan" link (published Tuesdays and Thursdays over the summer) provides a printable 2-page handout for your classroom.

Another site I have recently discovered is NoodleTools. Created by teacher-librarian Debbie Abilock and her son, Damon, NoodleTools provides subscription-based services for schools, although many resources are available on their public website. Send your students to Information Literacy: Search Strategies or NoodleQuest to help them gather resources for their academic research. NoodleQuest is a "Search Strategy Wizard" containing a short form of 9 questions to help students get started.

What are some of your favorite sites?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlene!

    I, too, was asked recently to identify 10 of my favorite sites. That is no easy task! When I responded, I tried to gear mine towards Spanish curriculum or general teaching websites.

    My students and I use Quia (www.quia.com) very often. Quia allows it members to create content-specific games and quizzes that my students use to improve their Spanish vocabulary. I also encourage the use of Learn Spanish (www.studyspanish.com) because students can listen to an authentic speaker pronounce Spanish words that are grouped into categories (like food, animals, vowels, etc.).

    One of the general sites that I like is Education World (www.educationworld.com) because it addresses every topic you could ever think of pertaining to education.

    Of course I also LOVE the Web 2.0 sites that you already listed!

    ReplyDelete